|Paneer Butter Masala|
Paneer cheese is cooked in a sauce of onions, spices, cashews, and tomatoes. The cheese soaks up all the flavours of the sauce and becomes soft and melt-in-your-mouth delicious. Recipe inspired by Edible Garden.
I’ll be honest, my dish didn’t turn out fantastically awesome (but I also did not follow the recipe from Edible Garden very closely). The main flaw was that there was way too much onion in the sauce, which overpowered everything else. I never thought that would be possible, since I usually love onions in a dish. So the recipe I’m providing here is not the one I made, it’s the reduced-onion version that I would try next time.
|Paneer cheese- Indian fresh cheese made with cow’s milk|
Dice up approximately 2 cups of paneer cheese into 1 inch cubes.
|Saute mustard seeds, then add pureed onions,
minced ginger, garlic, and cashew paste in butter
Cook the base of the sauce for about 4-5 minutes until the onions have softened and are slightly caramelized. This recipe calls for cashew paste, lacking cashew paste, I simply put some raw cashews into a food processor and processed until it was the consistency of a rather dry looking paste. (Edit: Here’s a video explaining how to make cashew nut paste properly. First boil cashew to cook and soften, then blend with a little water)
|Add in crushed tomatoes, ground turmeric,
and ground coriander
Stir it around and cook for another minute before adding the diced paneer. Add water/ milk/ cream to make a sauce with the consistency that you desire.
|Simmer for ~15 minutes in the sauce,
sprinkle garam masala and garnish with cilantro
This is delicious with rice or naan.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, pureed
- 1 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 thin slices ginger, minced
- 2 tbsp cashew nut paste
- 1/8 cup crushed tomatoes, or 1 diced tomato
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 lb pressed paneer cheese, cubed (~2 cups)
- Water, milk or cream
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, minced
- Heat butter over medium-high heat, add mustard seeds and put a lid on the pan immediately.
- Once the seeds stop popping, add pureed onions, garlic, ginger, cashew nut paste and cook for 4-5 minutes, until onions are softened and slightly caramelized
- Add tomato, turmeric and ground coriander and cook for 1 minute more. Add in diced paneer cheese
- Add water, milk or cream until the sauce is a little thinner than the desired consistency. Simmer for 15 minutes
- Mix in garam masala, garnish with fresh coriander and serve