Happy belated Canada Day! I made this pie with my friend C for a special Canada Day dinner. Featuring fresh sweet cherries and served with ice cream, it was delicious.
|In a food processor, pulse together butter, flour, salt, and sugar.
Then add in ice water 1 tbsp at a time until the dough just holds together.
|Divide dough in half, shape each half into a disk 6 inches wide.
Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
Chilling and resting the dough is an extremely important step. This allows the gluten in the dough to relax, which will make the pie dough tender rather than tough.
While your pie dough is chilling, this is the perfect time to prepare the filling. First pit the cherries: using a pairing knife, cut the cherry down the middle, all the way around the pit. Twist and pull the two halves apart. Then, work your knife around the pit to dig it out. I used 4.5 cups of fresh pitted, halved sweet cherries, which was approx. 1.5 lb. Add sugar and corn starch to the pitted cherries and mix thoroughly.
|Roll out the pie crust to 1/8th inch (3 mm) thick, transfer to 9 inch pie plate|
Once the pie dough has been rested, take both disks out of the fridge and let it warm up for 20 minutes to make rolling easier.
Roll one disk to 1/8th inch (3 mm) thick. While rolling, give the dough a 90 degree turn every once in a while to make sure nothing is sticking. Add some flour if the dough is getting sticky. Transfer into the pie plate, and fill with cherry filling.
Roll out the other half of the dough to the same thickness, and cut into strips about 1/2 inch (1 cm) wide. Make a pretty lattice pattern with the strips.
|Weave the strips into a lattice pattern.|
|Brush top with milk and sprinkle sugar on top.|
Bake at 425 F for 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350 F and bake for another 35 minutes. I also put my pie under the broiler for a minute to further brown the top.
- 2.5 cups flour
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, 1/2 inch cube
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 6-8 tbsp ice water
- 4.5 cups pitted sweet cherry halves
- 1/3 cup white sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp milk
- In a food processor, pulse together flour, butter, salt and sugar until butter is the size of a pea.
- Add in ice water 1 tablespoon at a time until dough just comes together when pressed between your fingers.
- Form dough into two equal disks, wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour, or up to overnight.
- Combine cherries, sugar, and corn starch for the filling, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Roll out one disk to a circle 1/8th inch thick (3mm), and place on the bottom of a 9 inch pie plate
- Fill with cherry filling
- Roll out the second disk to a circle 1/8th inch thick, cut into strips 1/2 inch (1 cm) wide. Gently lay the strips in a lattice pattern, pressing the edges to seal.
- Brush top of pie with milk, and sprinkle with white sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes, reduce oven temperature to 350 F, and bake for another 35 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes before serving.